Thursday, July 7, 2011

Using Kenda Tires Tubeless with Stans No Tubes


2.1 Kenda Slant Six Tubeless
I have tried tubeless using the Stans kit and also Stans sealant with gorilla tape.

The Stans Rim strip cost far outweighs the time in ease and refill of sealant. (Removable Presta core)

26″ Tires successfully converted:
2.35 Kenda Nevegal 120 TPI
2.35 Kenda Excavator 60 TPI
2.10 Kenda Nevegal 60 TPI
2.10 Kenda Slant Xix 120 TPI
2.10 Kenda Small Block Eight 120 TPI

26″ Clincher Wheels used for conversion:
WTB Speed Discs
Neuvation MTN MX
Neuvation MTN MAX

All scenarios work:

-60 TPI easier to seal sidewalls
-120 TPI sidewalls are more porous require more time

If you figure out a way to seat the tire using a hand pump let me know I tried like a furious monkey with little success. I have had to use a compressor to seat the bead on almost every occasion. Sometimes I had to go past the recommended 45 PSI to get the bead to seat correctly.

Couple of Tips:
If this is your first attempt allow adequate time this is not a quick process first time around.
When you mount the tire make sure prior to pumping up with air both beads are in the center channel.
Make sure that when you mounted the tire the rim strip (Stans) is still flat around the circumference of the wheel (When I had problems inflating I double checked to find the rim strip had folded over or moved too far from the bead lock).
Use lots of soapy water as this help with inflating and the bead seating easily.
Purchase the Stans injector then seat the bead. Once that is done remove valve core and add sealant I have found this to be the least messy during conversion.

I have had flats from nails and screws so even-though I run tubeless I still have the weight of the tubes in my pack. LOL

The ride is incredible and worth the extra hassle IMO But, it is a PITA to change a converted tubeless on the side of the trail
2.1 Kenda Nevegal Tubless
I do have another set of wheels because I do like to ride with different tires for different terrain. These have tubes though.

No comments: