Saturday, July 16, 2011

Phat Cycles Phixie Review - Single Speed/Fixed Gear


Since I purchased this bike last weekend I have put 110 miles on it. It is my new favorite out of my stable. The bike originally came with flat bars which I probably road about 40 mi of the 110 with them. I had some ergo cylco-cross bars hanging around and decided to replace the flats with those. Also I replaced the cheap CST 23mm tires with a set of 25mm Conti ultra gator skins then added some look clip ins I had in my drawer of bike goodies.  I wouldn't admit to anyone publicly (i.e. wife) that the bike in my opinion is set up near perfect for what I want. ( I want to replace the cheap crank and bb and add front brakes later) I took it for a longer ride today 29.47 mi according to my smart-labs exercise tracker on my droid. I have to tell you that in my opinion the ride is sweet and very sporty. The bike simple and clean. I stripped all the stickers except for a grateful dead sticker my son gave me and the bike shop one. Surprising the wheels roll smooth and so far no problem with wheel trueness etc. (I weigh approx 229 lbs) despite the crappy roads around here. So far this bike fits my purpose as a daily commuter, SS road bike and an exercise machine.

I'm still mulling over trying it as a fixie don't know how practical that would be for me or, that I'm in good enough shape to not coast once in a while.

Couple things:

  • The KMC chain has already stretched multiple times
  • The BB seems to be fine but, I can feel the crank arms flex when I mash the pedals
  • The wheel set seems to be OK and roll nice
  • The frame is very stiff by design/style (I like that)
  • When they warn you to make sure the wheel axle bolts are tight before every ride that is for a reason
  • The frame has crappy welds
This is a good bike at a good cost that can be very practical. If you ride around town and the bike paths this bike will suit your needs perfectly. I have wanted to purchase a multi-speed road bike (I do have a cyclo-cross) but, can't see the purpose to  expense value for me. If I someday decide to ride in the hills and mountains than I guess that would be a good time to look into one. When I road around my cyclo-cross I never used the gears much on the bike path and around town.

Update: 8/24/2011. The only thing so far about this bike that has been a PITA is the stock crank set. I have since replaced it added a front brake and removed the wheel and frame stickers. Although I have only had it a few months I have ridden it hard through city streets, bike path, commuting and for exercise. For that purpose this bike has served well so far.


But... I bought this bike on the spur of the moment when at a LBS. After further research and getting past the newness I started to notice certain things. 


The Bad: Crappy welds - how did I over look this?  No really they are crappy. The even more crappy crank set. I realize this is a bare essentials bike with bare essential parts. There is something sweet about simplicity. But, not dumping in a crap load of cash into it would be difficult for someone with upgraditis. 


The Good: It rides very smoothly, it is quick and handles surprisingly well, it would be difficult for thieves to take parts off it. Looks good as long as you are not too close.


The solution: I suppose I could replace the frame with a better one but, what then? Put crappy components on a good frame? Well for now I will try not to think about the things that bother me and simply ride it and ride it simply. 

2 comments:

jams72 said...

I'm thinking about purchasing this bike. It will be my first bike purchase. I'm a heavy guy. The salesperson said it would be good for me and that it's a good bike. How much did you pay for it? I'm mostly going to be traveling to point A to point B. Never to point Z. Think I should get it? Let me know soon. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Hi Jams72 thanks for the post. Sorry have not check my blog until today.

It is not a bad bike but, you could get a better one online.

Get it from the bike shop if you are not mechanically inclined.

Otherwise take a look at a kilo TT or Clockwork (online). Better welds, crank and include front and rear brakes.

I recently purchased a kilo tt stripper 389.00 and have been really impressed.

Aesthetically, the phatcycles phixie has poor welds and crappy crank. I paid 400.00. But overall decent entry level ss/fg bike. I really like the geometry too.

Good luck!