Saturday, July 30, 2011

Phat Cycles Phixie Review - Lasco vs Vuelta Pista

Since I have purchased the bike I have had to continuously tighten the crank bolts. I commute with this bike and ride for fun and leisure. This is a PITA. Seems this is probably the worst stock component on the bike. So far after 300 miles I have had no other issues with the bike or the ride.

With the constant tightening and creaking I presumed the stock crankset would not last much longer. I could feel them flex when I mashed on the pedals to sprint and etc. I started looking online for inexpensive but, better quality cranksets. The stock crankset that comes on this bike is Lasco brand these are the same no-name brand sold on ebay that come in different colors.

I went with a Vuelta Pista crankset from bikeisland.com


I notice upon removal of the bolts for Lasco crankset  there were no washers installed. They did use bolts with a washer molded into the head. Once removed I could see that the arms where they bolt to the BB was chewed up and that there was aluminum material on the bottom bracket taper and the taper was becoming ovalized. I presume that the aluminum used on the stock set is weak and likely not forged for strength.

The Vuelta crankset has a 46 tooth chainring as opposed to the stock Lasco crank with 44. When I installed this crankset I could immediately feel the difference in improved stiffness plus the higher gear was nice too. I haven't logged any miles with this crankset yet but, the initial ride seemed promising.

Update: 8/24/2011 I like the cranks and the 46 tooth matched up with the 16t freewheel. I think that puts me at around 77 gear inch. 

No comments: