Thursday, July 7, 2011

Gravity MegaXO Quad (FSA)

ck_gravity_megaexo_quad
Gravity 2 x 9 with Bash 
I just purchased this crank and plan to have it installed tomorrow. I was going to attempt to do it myself but, after pricing out the tools to do so (separately not in kit form) I thought well for 25 bucks it is worth having the LBS do it. I was pretty stoked since I got this crank-set and bottom bracket for a sweet price brand new. I guess I should have read more reviews but, not sure that would change my mind much. This crank-set is advertised as a XC/AM crank-set. After reading others reviews my heart sank. People were actually claiming they were bending the crank arms (they are hollow). Well too late for me. In any case I have to wonder what kind of riding these guys do - then thought, although I ride aggressive it is probably not as aggressive as 20 or 30 somethings. 

I do not do steep drops, high jumps or a lot of aggressive downhill so time will tell. I'm replacing what came stock on my bike a FSA DYNA-DRIVE 22/32/44T with Powerdrive around 994 grams less the BB. The gravity one comes in around 1102 grams with BB. Not sure there will be a significant weight savings my goal was to lose the 3rd ring and gain the external bearings.

Once I have the part installed I will follow up with my thoughts.
Update: 8/24/2011: Have yet to have any issues with crank arms bending etc. That others reviewers spoke of.

No comments: