Sunday, July 31, 2011

Vuelta Pista Track crank set - creaking

I bought the Vuelta crank set to replace the Lasco crankset that came on my Phatcyles phixie. As soon as I got the new crank I removed the old Lasco and installed it thinking all the problems with loosening and creaking would be gone.

I was wrong. I brought my tools with me and went on a ride. I would tighten the Vuelta every so often on the ride and kept thinking to myself why is this thing still creaking. I cannot tighten it any more! I got home after the ride demoralized and wondering why I replaced the Lasco. The drive side was quite but, not the other.

The following day after a bit of courage I removed the non drive side arm. After inspection I found that the spindle had some areas where there were humps due to small dents and light damage to the end of the spindle on two of the sides. I went to the garage and found a small fine file and carefully filed them down, I looked inside the crank arm and notice some small burrs from this spindle and did my best to remove them without damaging the aluminum. Afterwards I wiped off the residue and applied a very thin layer of marine grease. (yes I have read from multiple sources the do's and don'ts, whys and why nots and, pros and cons of this) Then I installed the non drive side crank arm. Wala creaking gone!

I guess it makes sense that the four flat contact points need to be level otherwise you will likely get this creaking noise and wonder how to stop it when tightening the crank bolts doesn't work. I was also worried that I would damage the new crank arms so I'm glad I checked it.
Update: 8/24/2011 - I have ridden a number of miles and use this bike as a daily commuter and exercise bike when I cannot get to the mountains. The Vuelta crank I believe to be a good value compared to cost. Also it is not so fancy to look odd on a sub 400.00 single speed. 


After further research I could have definitely of got a better overall SS/Fixie online for probably a third less. 

No comments: