Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Bike addict blues (New Drug - Phat Phixie)


Does it ever end? I mean I started in June 2009 with a cyclo-cross bike - Motobecane fantom cross, made some minor upgrades and adjustments so it would be more comfortable. Learned a lot and enjoyed it.

in December 2010 I bought two mountain bikes one for me and one for my daughter. A Motobecane LTD 500 and, a Windsor Cliff 4700

in March 2011 I gave my Cliff 4700 to my youngest son and my oldest son the fantom cross. Then I bought a Motobecane fantom trail and, here recently in July I purchased a Phat Cycles phixie single speed/fixed gear bike.

All bikes have received there fair share of upgrades and additions, change outs etc.

Then a thought occurred to me is it madness or sickness or some other thing?

  • Fantom Cross ~ $550.00
  • LTD 500 ~ $300.00
  • Cliff 4700 ~ $370.00
  • Fantom Trail ~ $595.00
  • Phixie ~ $400.00


That rounds out to about $2200.00... This of course does not include all the other little upgrades and additions to these bikes. Some of the parts upgraded where then swapped to other bikes. I could only guess between tires, handlebars, cranks etc I have spent another $1000.00 over the course of 2 years.

So $3200.00 over the course of 25 months means I have a habit of  $128.00 per month. WTF is wrong with me?

I'm thinking to myself what can I upgrade next on the phixie? what should I do first? apparently I can't help myself...I want a new drug. I know some people think shit you could have bought one really nice bike for that kind of money or why do you need so many bikes? or who in their right mind spends that kind of money on bikes. I think really in the grand scheme of things that is really not that much especially if you cannot afford it.

I don't know but, I can tell you I love each one of them as they all ride differently and have different attributes. Of course now my phat cycle is my favorite but, I'm still itching to go mountain biking soon.

I think I need professional help.

No comments: