Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Motobecane Fantom Cross CX Review


Dig the water bottles?


*** UPDATE TIRE SIZE *** 1/27/11
This bike will fit up to 42mm or 1.65 inch wide tires
In 2007 my family purchased me a Schwinn hybrid from Target I road it and enjoyed it but it was really lacking in performance and handling plus it weighed a ton and I had to always tweak the derailleurs to get it to shift right. I would ride on an off for the next couple of years but nothing real serious.
I decided to purchase the Motobecane in August of 2009 as 2010 model. Previously I had owned other than the Schwinn hybrid three mountain bikes before, all specialized a hard rock, a rock hopper and a stump jumper.
When I was kid before BMX bikes we would setup our Schwinn's stingrays with knobby tires, small seat and short handle bars and do wheelies, jumps (sometimes over our friends) and ride in the dirt. Because of this I think I always favored the mtn bike when I got older. I never had owned a road bike before and that played in my decision to go with a cyclocross bike I think.

I did a lot of online research and found that a cyclocross bike had the same geometry of a road bike but, had canti brakes and could take wide knobby tires but, also had drop bars. I had never used drop bars before nor had I ever wore the tights that I had swore off that I had seen people riding in. But, little did I know there was a purpose for those flashy clothes.

I loved the look of the cyclocross bike also, cyclocross bikes have a longer wheel base then most road bikes and are similar to touring rigs also the advantage of the powerful canti brakes and the clearance for mud. But, I did not realize the beauty of having my cake and being able to eat it too. The cyclocross bike came about through roadies training in the winter at least that is what I read.

The best thing about a cyclocross bike is that it does both ok on road and off. For instance it can be setup to be a pseudo roadbike or pseudo off road bike.

Over the summer I took the kenda kwickers off and got some Continental ultra sport gator skins 700x25s and was amazed at the agility of the bike on the road. I also upgraded the brakes to avid 4 shorties, installed a carbon fiber seat post and an E3 seat. The drop bars were a bit too deep for me so I replaced those with Origin8 Pro pulsion gary-2 drop bars at the same time I installed Look clip in's. My impression was WOW of course I had never ridden a road bike before so I had nothing to compare it to but, it made me want to get a road bike. There is something about clipping along at 20 plus mph that you won't experience (except downhill) on a mountain bike.

The frame is slightly flexy under hard acceleration but, stiff through turns and bumps. I do not know if this is because of my size and weight as I'm around 235 and just shy of 5'11" I'm riding a 56cm frame. The sora STI shifters are really nice IMO and tiagra derailleurs shift almost flawlessly even today after a couple thousand miles. I have done some adjustments after it was new due to cable stretching etc.

Recently, due to winter I have pulled the Ultra sports and put on 700 x 35 conti cyclocross race tires. I'm really amazed at how compliant the ride is with the wider tires. The triple chain ring is good for off road but, the smallest ring is still not as small as a Mountain bikes. The CROMO fork and rigid aluminum frame does soak up some of the bumps but, the tires do most of the absorbing. I have found that it is good for single track that is not too technical, fire roads and hard pack. It is odd riding off road to me with drop bars but, I'm getting more comfortable. The bike is fairly light in comparison to others in this price range at about 19.5 lbs.

Overall I'm very happy with this bike, for me it triples as a road bike, off road bike, touring bike and occasional grocery getter. I have done some touring locally (40 miles round trip non stop) and have had panniers and racks loaded down this bike is very stable and comfortable and the cantis provide excellent stopping power.

The clothes:
Well I used to think that people wore those tight spandex clothes to show off their bodies or to look like the pro's. There is a reason though. When riding on the road the clothes cling to you and assist in making you more aero dynamic also, the materials they use are space age and wick away the moisture from your skin and help your muscles to not fatigue as fast. Plus the shorts and pants can be purchased with padding in the seat portion enhancing comfort on long rides. Another benefit is loose clothes can get caught on the seat, handlebars, trees and branches etc....So now I wear them most of the time and it is not to show off my body because well lets just leave it at that...

TIPS:
  • If you have a belly or muffin top purchase bib style shorts or tights otherwise you will get fold over.
  • If you are what they call a Clydesdale it may be hard to find items that fit properly since the cool stuff is made for smaller men.
  • A Clydesdale is someone who weighs more than 175 or is taller than 6 foot
  • Bike Fit in general:
    • There are probably 3 sizes that could fit you depending on the style of riding you do, consider this:
      • Do you like to stretch out and ride long straights? maybe a bigger size is best for you
      • Do you like to ride fast, crank through turns and want the ultimate control and don't mind being scrunched up get a smaller size
      • Do you want the best of both worlds get something in between
In my case I ride a 56cm with a 30.5" inseam which is just a hair big for me but, almost perfect with an 80mm stem ( I changed out the 100mm). I could also ride something as small as a 52cm. I like being stretched out a bit so my lungs have plenty of room (belly too) to breath
      • The right size also varies because it depends on torso, arm and leg length and what you consider comfortable
      • When sizing consider actual body part lengths and style of rider or riding.
  • Don't be afraid to try different tires, sizes or types
  • Don't be afraid to change out cock pit items to facilitate comfort (i.e. seat, stem handlebars etc)
  • Remember although bikes come in different sizes you are unique and the bikes are designed for the general population.
  • Maximum PSI is only ideal if you are a heavy rider if you are a light rider using maximum pressure in your tires increases resistance and makes for a bumpy ride.
For example I weigh 235lbs if I do not use the maximum pressure (120lbs in my rear tire) I will get pinch flats but, if you weigh 150lbs using recommended tire pressure (80-100lbs) is fine and your tire will be more compliant and have less rolling resistance at that lower pressure.

BTW just because you wear tights and colorful shirts does not necessarily mean you are more fond of the same sex....but, it could

No comments: